Sunday 15 March 2015

Single Mom Sabbath: Why I Keep Trying

I'm back....barely.  Today marks day 10 of feeling yucky. Thankfully, I'm one of the ones who fell into the blessing of Obamacare. After 15 years of no insurance I am now insured and on antibiotics for a severe sinus infection. Alabama has seen temps vary in 24 hours by more than 30 degrees. We haven't known whether to wear snow boots or flip flops. Ironically, this weather calls to mind the internal crisis I can incur daily left to my own.

Being sick for so many days while life continues to happen can spiral one into depression quickly. As the sole proprietor of our family business, there is no shutting down due to illness because we want to eat everyday. Therefore someone's gotta go to work.

However feeling bad will allow justification for letting the less important stuff go...folding laundry, cooking, and cleaning. Hence, the idea for today's Sabbath post. I've had my Easter tote of decorations out for over a week. In the attic, I keep a tote for every major holiday and 1000 totes for Christmas:)

I try to split the decorations: taking some to the store to inspire my customers while keeping some at home to continue the tradition for the children of bringing their thoughts toward something more than their cell phones or dinner.

Today Lawren, my oldest daughter, and her husband Brandon are coming for lunch. I never knew how much I would miss her when she got married. They only live about an hour away but they both work full time while she also teaches dance. Our schedules leave time for texts and short phone calls occasionally.

Because they are coming I became motivated to finally empty the Easter tote to bring some beauty into the clutter for lunch today. As I cut the devotion strips, punched holes (btw: I've been looking for our hole puncher for two weeks minimum...finally broke down last night and sent Hannah into Wal-Mart to purchase one because I had already stopped earlier in the week at the Dollar Tree to come up empty handed), hung the devotion cards onto the Easter tree, I questioned myself, "Why do you keep trying?"



Here's the first pic: leftover Valentine decor becomes an Easter Tree but first have to rid the clutter!

Why do I persevere season after season of climbing into the attic, finding and dragging down the appropriate tote, clear off a spot to decorate, and then take it down to start over again? Well, because my first thought is, "If I don't take the time to do this for my  kids, who will?" There isn't anyone else here.

I want my kids to know the importance of tradition and beauty. I want them to know holidays are special and some even sacred and holy. How can they know that if they are not invited in to celebrate?

More than tradition, I want to obey the command in scripture to teach my children. In Deuteronomy 11:18-19

"You shall therefore impress these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall teach them to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up."

When I stop a moment to think about all God has rescued me from, how He has redeemed and restored me, His great love for me is written on every page of my story.

We love because God first loved us...1st John 4:19

A love response to God from me is my small effort to impact my children's hearts for the kingdom of God by bringing out the decorations. Their hearts are precious and it is my responsibility and privilege to speak life into them in creative ways. I am trusting that because I keep trying and God is faithful, my efforts will not be in vain.




Final pic: the reason I keep trying: Because God has entrusted these 5 precious soles to this single momma.

Will you consider this morning how the Holy One has rescued, redeemed, and restored you?

Will you ask the Holy Spirit for creativity to pull some items together and place as a focal point to celebrate the Lenten season as we prepare our hearts for Easter.

Yes, it is a little work to get it done, but the result is rest for my soul which is my aim.

Bringing beauty into my home and into our hearts pushes the negative out of  my spirit and replaces with rest of God. Will you try it and tell me about it?

Love, Pam

2 comments:

  1. Oh Debbi ,

    Thank you for commenting here! I hope I can see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete