Sunday 22 March 2015

Single Mom Sabbath: How I rest after I work

It's almost time for bed but I so want to be faithful in this weekly blogging venture in order to offer hope and encouragement for single moms.

So I decided to write tonight about how I actually rest after I work. Often as women it's easy to fall into comparison in many areas of our life. We read magazine articles or online posts about how to do about anything based on another's viewpoints.

I remember the wise words of my mentor Sally Clarkson years ago, " comparing ourselves to others results in feelings of superiority or inferiority."

So tonight I won't tell you how to rest.

I'll only tell you it's a principle in scripture set forth by God. If God decided rest was good, I believe I can trust Him and learn from His example in my own life. Yet, how could I tell you how to rest when scripture doesn't indicate HOW God rested. It only indicates He did. Certainly it means He ceased the work before the rest BUT it never says specifically what the "rest" looked like.

I conclude that because He designed us all uniquely our rest will be our own as well.

This morning I returned home from the 4th annual Mom Heart retreat in our area. Around 20 of us gathered together starting Friday night to celebrate our lives as mom through fellowship , encouragement, and equipping.

We were missing a few here but thankful nonetheless for a sweet memory!


Thank you Ashley and Sydney for amazing worship.

I love how a community of moms celebrate God together.



Our time together each year is unique and beautiful . Yet, there's typically a physical crash after the weekend from expending myself emotionally, physically, and spiritually. The retreat ends early Sunday morning so we can each attend church. I was looking forward to an afternoon nap but  there was a dear friend from the retreat who's problems weighed heavily on my heart.

Upon checking in I with her I realized she was still in a very difficult place so I invited her over  rather than nap . We had a hard but good visit for over an hour.

When she left I had to check the inventory at the store after being away for the weekend to determine what was needed to open tomorrow. Then it was immediately time to leave for life group. We are part of a new life group with old friends so it's really been wonderful to reconnect. As a matter of fact my friend Terri actually participated in this weekend's retreat by cooking delicious food for both Friday and Saturday night. She also brought along two of her daughters who helped with serving and blessed us with an amazing time of worship.

So many may wonder when did I  ever rest. I wanted to share that for myself my rest today came from being in community with other believers. Healthy community is never a work that requires a rest. There may be some tasks to get a dish ready to share but the sharing, fellowship, prayer, and equipping that occurs brings REST to my soul after a weekend of pouring out.

So friends please give yourself grace today for HOW you rest. Sometimes it might be a 5-6 minute cup of hot tea, others might take their rest in an elevator to the next appointment, while other days like today it might look like running to those who care about you and want to invest in your life.

Your soul was fashioned by the creator of the universe...He knows every star by name and the numbers of hairs on your head. and He knows what we need individually to find rest  for our souls be it a time of solitude or community.

Will you today stop comparing how you are prompted to care for your soul. Will you today simply embrace the mandate to "Be still and know that  He is God."

I would love to hear from you the creative ways He brings you rest.

Love, Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment