Thursday 14 March 2013

Easter: Christ Purpose and Message

We have preserved a few traditions in our family which are reminders of special events or holidays. As Easter approaches, I am preparing my heart to share with my children the reason for our celebration.

As we PRACTICE these traditions, I recollect reminders to practice throughout scripture. God was repeatedly telling Israel to set up these reminders, build an altar, and celebrate with feasts the provisions of God.

As believers we are privileged to get to pass on these stories of God's faithfulness throughout history to our children in creative ways. As I study 1 John 3: 8-12, we are encouraged again to practice the purpose and message of Christ:

"the Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil." "For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another."

This Easter I want to remind my children by practicing traditions in our home of Christ purpose on the cross. I want them to know that His death created a way for each of us to fulfill His message for each of our lives...to love one another.

Last year I used Ann Voskamp's "Trail to the Tree" which made a lovely centerpiece for my table. This year I have been using John Piper's Lenten Devotion over the past few weeks. You can find out more about it here by placing "Lenten Lights" in the search window. We will use the same devotion as a family during the holy week. Each day we get to snuff out a candle as we prepare for Easter morning when each of the seven candles are re-lit because Jesus is alive!

I can't wait to celebrate with my kids...especially knowing how much my baby boy Thomas, who is 10, will delight in wetting his fingers and snuffing out that flame everyday.






Traditions help set the tone for truth for our kids to embrace what is right and holy. If each of us only walked in these two truths:

Christ destroyed the works of the devil

and

We should love one another

What difference would that alone make in how you face today's challenges?

It's the  main thing. It's the only thing that matters. When we fix that truth in our mind, everything else suddenly becomes less paramount in our lives.

Happy Easter, Happy Practicing, Happy Day

Love,

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment