Tuesday 24 August 2010

How I got to this place.

The journey to MomHeart began some twelve to thirteen years ago. A call to home school our then two young girls was pressing in on my heart. But I fought against it diligently. The only home school family I knew back from back in Kansas was over the top. The mom would stand up in the Sunday morning service pleading for our vote that week for whatever conservative issue was pressing through Congress. She would also meet you at the nursery door and say something like, "Your child has thick green discharge from her nose. The pediatricians are now believing that indicates infection. She should not be with other kids."

As a young believer, in Christ, I took those things personally and felt insecure in my role as a mommy. I did not find her very inviting. I also harbored a judgmental spirit towards her which today I can appreciate as passion. I may be different but I can unconditionally love her as a sister in Christ and appreciate that the Father has simply made her passionate about different things than me.  Did I mention I had gotten pregnant out of wedlock and was a single mom.

Needless to say, my first relationship with a home school family was rocky from the start. RIVER OF LIFE LESSON: DON'T EVER SAY YOU WILL NEVER DO SOMETHING!

Within the next six years my life transformed to almost look identical to the woman at church. There was a call to home school, I was married and  the second child had come. I joined a local support group for preschoolers who were homeschooling called Bright Lights.  We met once a month and shared support and encouragement with other home school moms. One night we had curriculum night and a mother showed up with a laundry basket full of teacher's manuals and workbooks for her kids. All of our children were under six. I had brought a duck washcloth that I used to play with my girls in the tub. I would sing bible verses to my girls with the duck cloth. Needless to say, the confusion and insecurity set in again. But help was a little quicker this time.

I went to bible study the following morning and sat down next to a co leader who home schooled. I said, "I thought this was supposed to be fun!?" and proceeded to tell her about my previous evening's experience. She said "Pam, you need to read Educating the Wholehearted Child"

Fast forward eleven years...I have read every book by the Clarkson family and have adopted their philosophy for child training and educating. Although I am now a single working mother and have three children in public school, I still attend mother conferences every year and currently lead a MomHeart discipleship group for mothers at the local YMCA.  Hence, how I got to where I am.  If anyone is interested in attending MomHeart, feel free to contact me. We begin meeting Sept 10. Enjoy the  video below as a sample of what our book study will be:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZlCcVq-Dxs

No comments:

Post a Comment