Monday 23 May 2011

Thirty Days Ago

Thirty days ago I did not know Phil Campbell or Hackleburg, Alabama existed. The fury of tornadoes that ravaged through the state of Alabama on April 27 changed that for me.

That Wednesday started out as any other day even though the weather men had been talking storms for a week. When you live in the south, March and April is tornado season. So having severe thunderstorms with tornado watches or even warnings for that matter are quite common.

Yet by Wednesday night things were different. Although the storms passed all around our little town of Lacey's Spring, we did lose power around 5:30 that evening.  By eight or nine that night the worst was over and reports from battery operated radio were indicating several tornado touchdowns and damage.

Because the media tend to sensationalize so much it was hard to know how bad things were. There were thousands without power. We used the down time to pull out Granddaddy's burners from the fish fries and cooked out on the deck. On Thursday we realized obtaining gas was to be a problem because of the power outage. For the first time I can remember the city and county were put under a mandatory curfew for days.  Fortunately our power returned by early Friday morning while most in the surrounding areas were without until the following Monday and many as late as Wednesday. Generators became a hot commodity for many quickly.

Since work was shut down we took the time to travel to Nashville to see Mary Catherine play some softball. We managed to get enough gas from two different stations to get us up there. It wasn't until late Friday night when Lawren opened her laptop in the hotel did we finally see what devastation there was across the state.  The sights were overwhelming. Videos of the many tornadoes were already downloaded to YouTube. It was worse than a horror movie.  It wasn't long before the realization sunk in there were many deaths and many still missing.

My heart became burdened for the communities hit the hardest. One tornado swept just 17 miles south of my home taking an entire family of five. The next closest storm hit about thirty miles northeast of here.  Although I have never lived through a tornado hit, I know exactly what it feels like to wake up one day and your world be turned upside down. Having spent a year in grief from tragic and unexpected loss endears you to those who are suffering their own tragic loss.

Within days teams were formed and people headed out to serve their neighbors. My mother's day gift this year was an opportunity to serve alongside my oldest daughter and oldest son in the  Harvest area. Most of our time there was spent hauling tree limbs from fallen trees.

Less than two weeks later many of us headed over to Phil Campbell, Alabama where a disaster relief team was already in place cooking meals for volunteers serving in the community.  What an eye opening experience to see a community completely leveled and hear the tragic stories of lost lives and loved ones.

These experiences has drawn my oldest daughter Lawren back two more times. Lawren took a team from the southeast family YMCA yesterday to work in Hackleburg. The entire day was spent clearing and protecting a victim's fig tree before her place was to be bulldozed over.

The task is overwhelming ahead for these two towns in particular but for many others as well. There is simply not enough man power to get the job done. I have pondered the following many times over the past month:

Why did the tornado take that route?  Daily I have thanked the Lord for His protection and provision of safety. On my best day I can feel overwhelmed as a single mom of five. It is beyond my psyche to consider what it might feel like to open a closet door and your house be gone or to find dead people in your yard and pool. I just simply can't imagine the hardship even though intellectually I know God would be enough.

Where are all the families that lived in those homes that are gone?

What's the man to do that lost his entire family?

What's the woman to do who was an orphan and widow? While she stayed in a hotel waiting on an adjuster, looters came and took all her valuables from her basement.

The suffering of the tornado victims and the suffering I experienced this past year has propelled me to go and be with them in their painful place. I can work hard to remove brush, debris, etc, I can give them food and water but most importantly I can be present in their hard place. Just present so they realize they are not alone in this difficult time.  I certainly cannot change their circumstances.

I can only hope that my small act of service might inspire someone else to go and be with someone hurting when the time comes. We were not meant to be alone. And in the event that tragedy ever hits Lacey's Spring, Alabama there is someone somewhere who will come be with us as well.

Recently one of my dear friends Carol joined me on a recent trip to Phil Campbell. Presently she is joining forces with her daughter near the Tuscaloosa area to help one family rebuild their home. A FEMA trailer is coming but it will be empty. She is on a hunt for baby cribs, mattresses and bed frames for the family. If anyone has any to share please let me know. 




1 comment:

  1. wonderful story to share with others-keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete