Tuesday 8 January 2013

When What Drives You Changes







Recently I wrote a blogpost for Mom Heart about our three gift tradition at Christmas. You can read more about it here: http://www.momheart.org/?s=three+gift+tradition

However this year I did not find my marathon shopping day as enjoyable as usual. It was not a sense of dread but more of duty. We have established these traditions and I must follow through. While that is a good character quality, diligence, I sensed a loss of passion.

Upon revisiting my study of 1st John, I believe I understand why:

In chapter 2 verses 15-17, the apostle John draws a comparison between those of the world and the people of God.

The qualities of those of this world are quite lengthy but make no bones about it:

the love of the Father is not in them
they struggle with lust of flesh
and lust of the eyes
and the boastful pride of life
they do not know their Father
they are passing away

While those belonging to God...

do the will of God
live forever


Pretty simple.  I need simplicity in the New Year. I do not need stress, complications, overwhelming situations, like lines and mass merchandise.

I am a mom. I desire to be available physically, emotionally, and spiritually, which is already a challenge as a single, working mom.

I want to give my kids gifts, and I want to enjoy the process of getting the gifts for them, wrapping, and presenting them.  It is my desire to please my children and celebrate the birth of Christ.

However, recognizing my limitations as a woman who struggles with fatigue and aging, I plan to shop online next year.

I am trusting that will simplify my life and allow me to keep the main thing the main thing..

doing the will of God

living forever

What challenges are you facing that might cause you to question whether you belong to the world or to the people of God. I do not believe we can lose our salvation. Yet, I believe often things of the world will pull on us. Consequently, we make choices that bring our character into question.

How can you simplify your life today for the New Year to keep the main thing the main thing.

With Love,

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment