Friday 25 January 2013

Being Drawn Into A Story







I have not engaged in a good book, fiction or non, other than the bible since the summer. I found myself with alot of extra time on my hands last night, which is almost foreign as a single mom with five children. However, it was 8:00 then 9:00 and I was still trying to decide what to do to get off facebook, which had become terribly boring by then.

Housework was not an option I wanted to consider, nor did I long to begin a new project. I remembered a book by Charles Martin, shared by a friend last spring, which was still among it's friends in my bedroom.

Not sure if, as usual, I would fall asleep within the first 5-10 minutes, I picked it up and began around 9:30. It wasn't until 2 hours later I put the book down. In two hours I developed a relationship with not only the author but the main characters as well.

It's what a good book does, it draws you into the story, making you part of the redemptive process battling to win in the book.

It's the same with God's word. 

The story of redemption begins with the conflict between Adam, Eve, and Satan in Genesis, the first book of the bible and continues throughout scripture ending in Revelation of God through John regarding the end times.

In the same way as any great book, the author of my faith, God draws me in developing a deeper relationship with me as he reveals himself to me through the study of his word. It keeps my mind focused on Him and what he is saying about me.

Today, God says to me, "let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you will also abide in the Son and in the Father." (1st John 2:24)

I long to part of a great story, a wonderful adventure that includes me slaying evil forces and being a part of bringing justice to those treated unjustly.

And I am part of such a story...God's story..

...whether I am comforting my youngest child who constantly feels picked on by his older siblings, or buying gatorade and speaking healing words to a sick child, or teaching truth to a room full of moms, who have never heard the truth.

What are you being drawn into today....

If you are longing for God's adventure in your life yet pulled by the forces of this world and feeling strained, take heart. Christ has overcome the world. And He has a word for you....

"Come to me all ye who are weary and heavy burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For my yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

May you learn today by abiding in His word, the truth.

Love, Pam



No comments:

Post a Comment