Sunday 6 January 2013

A Send Off Letter for Someone Special


Tomorrow my dear friend Amanda will board for her flight to Kampala. Although I long to travel alongside her, this time I am only able to provide a send off.

Amanda, the Aggie’s Arts guru on this side of the Atlantic will spend the next week and half with Simon, Aggie, and their family as well as our sweet ladies from Banda, our Aggie’s Arts ladies. The beadmakers who work tirelessly making jewelry to provide for their families will work together to finalize ministry plans during Simon and Aggie’s furlough.

I love that I am part of a body that takes care of details. We intend to keep these women’s ministries going while our missionaries are resting.

A little over four months ago, a team travelled to Kampala, Uganda for a two- week ministry trip. 






          


Below, is a portion of my journal entry from our unique time in Banda:


Monday, August 27, 2012

We are back from our longest day of ministry. I thought Kisoro would be my favorite part but today proved to be so very rewarding.

We started out to Banda, a slum area, around nine this morning. I was to have the responsibility of teaching the ladies while Keith taught the men. The remainder of the team was to work with the kids.

We were expecting about 50 but as we drove into the slum, there were easily more than 100 just in eyeshot.






We passed the quarry as we climbed the hill into Banda, with the city behind and below us. The Lord brought the song from Bible Study Fellowship preschool program to mind:

   



“There’s a green hill far away
without a city wall.
Where the dear Lord was crucified.
He died to save us all.”


While waiting to unload, I found the passage from Matthew 5:14:

“You are the light of the world. A city on a hill which cannot be hidden.”

I sensed the ladies needed to hear how much God cared, called, and challenged them. The verses from Isaiah, which I have put to memory over the past year, were the verses I shared with them.

Isaiah 41:9b-10
“You are my servant
I have chosen you
And not rejected you
Do not fear for I am with you
I will strengthen you and help you
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

There is something special about reading a line of a passage slowly then having it interpreted into 2 languages. It is quite impacting.

Isaiah 45:3
“I will give you hidden treasures
Riches stored in secret places
So that you may know
I am the God of Israel
Who summons you by name.”

Then I talked to them a few minutes about suffering. I shared that I believe God allows suffering for two reasons:

One: to draw us into dependency on the Lord
Two: To conform us to the image of Christ Romans 8:29

Isaiah 54:10
Though the mountains be shaken
And the hills be removed
Yet my unfailing love for you
Will not be shaken
Nor my covenant of peace
Be removed from you
Says the Lord
Who has compassion on you.”

I shared from Isaiah 55: 8-10 as well encouraging the women to CIRCLE the promises of God literally in their bible or hide the words in their heart, to stand firm, and remain faithful to God.

Then I shared the “City on a Hill” picture the Lord gave me as we drove in that morning.

Unfortunately there was no time between sharing and setting up for the eye clinic.  Truly I did not believe the people would ever stop coming.



                                


Once a person was fitted for reading glasses, they were distributed. It was then they were sent for the sharing of the gospel and prayer. Here is my oldest son John Jay sharing the gospel.







I was paired with Rose, one of the Aggie’s Arts ladies, as an interpreter. She had also interpreted alongside Aggie as I shared earlier with the women. Here we are with my oldest daughter Lawren.




There were two ladies who came together for glasses. I believe God sent them specifically to encourage me, which I was later able to share with the team.

The ladies said we were an answer to prayer and shared with me:

Proverbs 19:17
“One who is gracious to a poor man lends to the Lord,
And will repay him for his good deed.”


They said they had prayed and waited on these glasses and further prayed that God would bless us. They would now be able to see to do their detail work better.  The overwhelming joy for just a small gesture was unbelievable.

My faith has grown to see these people suffer so greatly yet remain so very joyful.

When we stopped the eye clinic, we were able to shop among the Aggie’s Arts ladies.







So it is my desire for you readers to know where our Amanda is going. 

She is going to Banda, a slum area of Kampala, Uganda.

The Light of the World

A City on A Hill Which Cannot be Hidden

So while we covet your prayers for Amanda and her precious family holding the fort down at home, WE KNOW SHE IS IN GOOD HANDS.

Light bearer at home,

Pam






2 comments:

  1. More inspiration!! I loved seeing the 2 verses you had emailed me a year or so ago to memorize I feel so blessed to see how you buried them in your heart & God used them from you to feed others!! HE is Awesome!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is truly an amazing God. And He does bring those verses to mind often. They are shaping the story of my life. Love and miss you! thank you for encouraging me in my writing.

      Delete