Friday 1 October 2010

Week 4: Dancing Through the Twists and Turns of Life

Were it up to me,  the choreography of my life would be quite different than it has actually played out.  There are seasons of my life, if I could find a way out of or hurt less, I most certainly would.  The book of  James  says, "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." (James 1:2-4)

In light of this passage and now the experience of my life's trials, I can see how my faith deepened and my relationship with my heavenly father was strengthened through each trial encountered.  There was a time in my life where I walked through life not thinking of ever marrying or having children. My main goal was to graduate college, climb the corporate ladder, and become a successful business woman.

Needless to say I was caught off guard when I found myself expecting a baby right out of college. Within two years I became married and a stay at home mom. Within ten years there were four more children. Furthermore, I NEVER planned to home school....thought that was weird. (See my original post titled,"How I got to this place"). Yet, God had a different plan than me. Our home has been filled with at least one homeschooler for the last thirteen years.

As I slowly let go of my dreams and took God's hand to direct me, many days I encountered various trials in spite of following God. Homeschooling five kids and marriage alone are normal trials....but add the onset of strained finances, losing someone you love to cancer, divorce, kids with emotional holes in their hearts from the physical absence of a parent, working as a single mom, etc

I actually believe the trials in life can often be classified as suffering.  Were it up to me I would choreograph a different life dance for me and my kids...one without pain and suffering. Yet, now I see, on the other side of the pain, how God grew my kids and myself, purifying us from our own best plans, molding us and shaping us into something beautiful....something fit for a king.

Many people bail when the rubber meets the road. When the pain hits, they reach for a quick pain reliever. I learned to ask, "Father, what is it you want me to know in this difficult situation?"

I believe suffering via trials in life come for two reasons: One, to cause us to depend on the Father for EVERYTHING. God has our best interest at heart and knows we can enjoy life the most when we are fully submitted to Him and living out the passions He has placed within us. As we depend on God and live a life in Christ, His character flows from us bringing joy to us and others EVEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRIAL.

The second reason I believe God affords us trials in life is to conform us to the image of Christ. Romans 8:28 says "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love the Lord and are called according to his purpose. Furthermore in verse 29, God says.."For those God predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son...."

As we walk through the various trials of life, destined to happen living in a less than perfect world, holding God's hand, we can have joy.  Psalm 16:11 says, "You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

What trials are you walking through?...Are you depending on God...allowing Him to strengthen you as you walk through a difficult situation? How are you responding to your trial....with joy? Or is it a knee jerk reaction that is hurting those around you or a quick relief to your pain?

The author's prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father,

    You are a good father and committed to excellence in my life. Open my eyes that I may see what is really taking place in my heart. Help me to be committed to the long-term pathway of facing my tests and trials with strength and the knowledge that it is in my everyday where greatness of soul is being shaped. Help me to learn to accept with joy the life you have given to me. I love you, Lord. In Jesus' name I come.

Thank you for posting comments. It is with great joy they are received. I say that with the deepest sincerity. For the Father to use me in any way to be an encouragement to you, is great great joy.

Questions to consider this week:

Read James 1:2-3. List the trials that you are experiencing right now. How does God want you to pass the test of these particular trials? What attitude do you need to change or cultivate?

2. Read Psalm 103:8. Do you picture God, as David, even in the midst of your trials? How do you need to change your perception of Him in order to receive his compassion, grace, and generous  lovingkindness.

3. Read 2 Timothy 3:1-3. How does this verse apply to our culture? How does culture with its messages distract us from God's ways for us, to work hard and to endure with grace in order to develop character? What do you need to do to embrace God's ways so that you will find joy as you "dance these steps with him?"

1 comment: