Friday 8 October 2010

Chapter 5: Reveling in God's Melody of Joy

Once at a staff retreat, someone asks us to name three simple pleasures. They couldn't cost any money. It was some simple moment in life that brought us joy.  It's interesting I can only remember a couple of the other folks: clean sheets, a good cup of coffee..But I can still name mine. As I prepared to write today, I thought back to that time and quickly recalled these three simple pleasures: First, I love crossing the bridge to come home. We live on the Tennessee River. So, often a drive home  means capturing an incredible sunset, or the activity of watercraft be it recreational boaters over the weekend or a big barge headed to or from Decatur. Not only do I witness the majesty of God through His creation but also crossing the bridge means I am two minutes from HOME...my favorite place to be. There is something life giving about the river. I love the verse from John 7:38 that says, " Whoever believes in me, as the scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."

My second simple pleasure is....to wash my face each night before I go to bed. There is something about washing away all the busyness of the day, maybe worries or concerns that comes from splashing cold water on your face. I am sure one reason why it is a simple pleasure is I know the day is almost over and I am about to crawl into a warm bed to enjoy a peaceful night of slumber..usually next to my little Hannah Rose.

Finally, my third simple pleasure is carrying in a 40 pound bag of dog food. I still can't believe God made me healthy and strong enough to hoist that bag up onto my shoulder and walk from the van, up the steps, into the laundry room. But it is a great feeling. Last night, John Jay, my almost twelve year old son,  insisted on carrying the bag. I almost argued until I realized what a step of maturity this was for him. I could have robbed him of a potential simple pleasure had I not relented. Looks like I might have to find a new pleasure to replace this one.

Point being that these three simple pleasures are moments of joy for me as I celebrate the life God has given me. There are moments each day, if I choose, where I can see His hand whether it be through the hands that are daily chopping and cooking at work or a kind word or smile shared from someone. Yesterday, a sweet customer at worked, handed me a bandaid as she left saying, "I noticed your hand was cut."

I believe the more we come to know about God, the more free we are to enjoy all that He has provided for us. As our relationship with Him deepens, we are freed up from any misconceptions or wrong thinking that have been forced upon us by generational deception, or cultural shifts. If our parents had trouble enjoying the simple pleasures of life, then we might struggle. Culturally, we shift from home to work to a plethora of evening activities...Heaven help us if kids are going in opposite directions to opposite activities. It would be easy to miss the goodness and creativity of God if our minds were focused on anything other than enjoying each ride, job, activity, etc the Lord has before us.

The first chapter of Romans tells us that God has been revealing Himself to us since the beginning of creation..His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made."

We can see His creativity, His order and His design all around us. Furthermore, as we live a life in Christ, getting to know our heavenly father and becoming more life him (being conformed to his image Romans 8:29 and 30), we too can enjoy a life of creativity, order and design.

The most wonderful aspect is the originality of each of us belonging to him. What is beautiful to each of us varies based on each of our unique personalities. As we better to get to know our Lord, His beauty and design and creativity manifests itself individually through each of our unique personalities.  So, we can walk confidently in our passions as we celebrate others as well. This is big....because the tendency often as women, is we want to compare ourselves and our stuff and our creativity etc...to others. When, in reality, each of us has been literally handprinted individually by the hand of God for His beauty to be made manifest in and through each of our lives in unique and individual ways.

What are your three simple pleasures and how is the beauty of God being made manifest through your life. If your life has been programmed by outside voices and or culture, begin today embracing the unique beauty of God through you. Ask the Father to show you what you like and what brings you joy. Because if it is from Him, it will not only bring you joy but joy as well to all around you.

The author's prayer:

Dear God, the Artist and Creator of all that is beautiful in the universe,

     Thank you for making creation so beautiful.  Please open my eyes and my heart to  observe the lessons you would teach me about yourself through nature. Let me be like a child and look with delight at the design, beauty, and elements of nature. Thank you for making my world a place where you intended me to experience pleasure, delight, fun, and deep satisfaction.  Help me to understand that apart from finding  you as a source of that satisfaction, I will not truly experience lasting joy.  Help me to order my life so that I may better experience peace and comfort from being in your creation, amidst the beauty you prepared for me to enjoy.

Questions to consider:

1.  Read Psalm 19:1. What are the heavens telling us about God. When was the last time you went outside at night to observe and enjoy the stars in the sky and let your soul fill with awe? How, specifically, can you incorporate more time in your schedule to be in nature and let it speak to your soul?

2.  Read Psalm 16:11. What brings pleasure to your life? Do you think God wants you to experience pleasure? On what do you base that knowledge? Are there any ways in which you need to change your opinion about the importance of enjoying life more so that you can feel closer to God?

3.  When Job cried out to God and didn't understand why he was suffering so much, God answered by telling him about the beginning of creation when the angels shouted for joy. What was God trying to say to Job?

4. In what ways does your work and life separate you from nature? If Romans 1 tells us that "what God made" gives evidence to his existence, then how important is it to our lives to be sure we place ourselves in the midst of nature, to feel and know his reality?

1 comment:

  1. one of my joys is that God blessed me with 5 grandchilren that has extreme imaginations-I look at them when i get to see them and they always are happy children-of course they have a mom that listens to them, she ask many questions each day - Thank you Lord for this joy haveing a wonderful daugter and 5 great grand children.

    another joy i have is my garden of flowers-each day when i am watering plants i say how in the world can a person not believe the Lord created the world-the plants, the trees, grass, etc.

    the other joy i have is coming home relaxing and thanking the Lord for a blessed day-some days i am really tired and maybe i don't feel so blessed but i know i am -God is good

    ReplyDelete