Friday 24 September 2010

Letting Go to Take God's Hand

 In chapter three of Dancing with my Father, the author discusses letting go of ideals, dreams, etc. we hold onto in order to take God's hand. What makes it interesting is that the idea of "Letting go" follows chapter 2's topic of celebrating God's presence. I believe there is a reason for the order. Without the presence of God in our lives, it would be impossible to let go of some things the Father asks us of us.

On Tuesday we put Lawren on the plane to leave for six months for Berlin. As I sat at the airport I recalled bringing Lawren home from Kansas through the same airport some eighteen years earlier. The memory of watching her walk through security and head back to her gate still brings tears to my eyes this morning.

Letting go requires trusting. Letting go for me says, "God, I know you are for me. I know you are our protector and I know you love  my kids more than I ever could."Furthermore, letting go declares my belief that nothing can come into our lives that doesn't first sift through the hands of God." Knowing that Lawren walks in these truths as well, spread some comfort in the pain of her absence.

Why is letting go so hard? I believe we live in a society that says "Be all you can be...you can do anything you want....the sky is the limit....but rarely is God included in these ideals. We go to school and maybe onto college, we start a career, maybe a family, and look outward for what makes success.  We look for tangible evidence of our identity...a paycheck, organizations we belong to, social recognition, awards we receive,etc. When actually, God is much more interested in our heart.

We want these nice little lives...cookie cutter..where all our houses look the same or we compete for who has the best this or that...we want these highly intelligent kids who make it better than your neighbor's kids do....we want the best houses, the best cars, and fifty yard line tickets to every home game for the Tide or the Tigers. Oh, and Lord don't make us suffer any...that's ugly.


But those dreams are futile. They don't impress God. He loves us through our pettiness and affords opportunities for us to let go of our petty dreams, which we thought so grand, and grab hold of the Almighty God's dreams. They are dreams we often can't see immediately, which require an act of faith on our part. But holding God's hand as we let go of all we hold onto vertically in this world speaks volumes to those around us.  Trusting God for the dance of life says, I really don't know where all this is going, but I know it's going to be good.

I believe there are times that the Lord allows some angst to transpire where we question our beliefs about life....maybe a hardship in marriage, problems with our kids, loss of a job, etc. The suffering forces us to reach down deep in our soul to answer the problems we face day to day in a less than perfect world. When things don't go down as we planned or dreamed there is great disappointment and often discouragement.

Many people take the quickest, fastest way to ease their pain....they file for divorce, lash out at their kids, blame their boss, etc. However, the reality is often, when you belong to God, He is pressing in wanting us to let go of our dreams in order to see a bigger and better plan He has for us.


It is a day to day and often moment to moment process for me. I battle taking the reigns back to control all I can in my little corner of the world. But He is gentle with me as He reminds me, "Daughter, I got this one. This one is a little too big for you. Take my hand. I will lead. I love you."

May I never get over how in love the Father is with me in spite of how often I run ahead or forget to take his hand.  I would love to hear from any of you studying with us online through your posts as to how God is teaching you.

The author's prayer,

Dear Heavenly Father,

I thank you that you have my best in mind when you direct my life in the difficult places.  Open the eyes of my heart that I may see your love in the midst of my suffering. Help me to see clearly the blessings that you have brought from these lessons in the past.  I want to relinquish all the earthly things I have been depending on for joy, and ask you to fill me with the joy that comes from holding your hand and knowing you are with me every step of my life. In Jesus name I come to you. Amen.

Chapter 3 Questions:
1.Read Matthew 6:19-21...What are the treasures on earth that you have looked to for happiness or fulfillment? What do you think the treasures of heaven are?How do you look for these treasures.

2. Read Matthew 6:33...What does it mean practically, and in your heart, to seek first the kingdom of God? Name five ways that God wants you to do this.

3. Read Hebrews 12:10..In what areas has God disciplined you? How is he disciplining you now? What does God promise will be the result of your submission to his discipline? (See Hebrews 12:11 for help)

4 comments:

  1. Love today's blog it relates to things that are going on in my life at the moment. The past seven years has been very dark years for me. Events in my life caused me to be bitter and by doing so I was one of those who jumped at a quick way out. Because of decisions I made on my own without God's help I had many, many failures. Now I am at a place where I can see the mountain top! It's almost as if I went through all of those trials doing things my way and when I hit rock bottem God said "Okay now let's try it my way". I truly believe even though we don't always pass life's lessons without these failures we have no room to grow. I thank God for his grace and endless love.
    So thankful God blessed you with these words it truly touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this blog is wonderful-i can relate to it very much-i turned bitter over several things in my life.Especially when i tried to make decisons on my own.everything turned dark for me.I knew God loved me and watched over me and that i needed to ask for his guidance, when i did i saw the light-sometimes letting go and seek God's will is hard but we all know he is the answer to all.Thank you God for guiding me in the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks mom for continuing to speak truth in my life. I read this post not right when you wanted me to but when God knew I would need it the most. I am learning He is never late, and never early...but right on time. I love you and will choose to trust. Miss you

    ReplyDelete