Sunday 22 August 2010

Life's Lessons: It Pays to Wait and Ask Questions

Today is day one of the blogging world for Pam.  May this  be a place to share my heart with the stories of my life that in turn  encourage you in your own journey. More vital, may my stories inspire you to tell your own stories. Finally, may all our stories forever point to our place in history (HIS STORY). After all my stories pale in comparison to the stories of my Creator.

A life philosophy I have embraced is that it pays to wait and it pays to ask questions.  I have a story to tell....several Christmases ago I received a gift card from the local Christian book store, a favorite place of mine to shop at the time. Around the same time I received a coupon in the mail for an additional amount off. I also had a gift to return so I was excited about combining my monies and coupon for something special I was sure to find. Some how I had managed to get some free time. That alone is most often a story in itself. Being a single mom of five kids presents challenges for alone time.

Regardless, I was alone and took off on a Saturday evening rushing before the store closed at eight.  I already had my items picked out and proceeded to the counter only to find out that my coupon was not good until the following week. Furthermore, the item I was returning could not be issued as a credit because it was put on my mother's debit card. The store would first have to issue her a credit on her account.  Needless to say, I was frustrated that things weren't going as I had planned. So, I put my items back in their place and left the store around 7:45.


Have I mentioned there were only ONE of each item I chose. There was no way they could be there on Monday or could they? The store was closed on Sunday. If I could be back up there at opening time Monday morning, I might get my goodies. My mind immediately began calculating the opportunity costs of another trip. From gas to missed lessons with the kids, etc., my mind had it all worked out but still I ran the entire idea by my  best friends in life group on Sunday night. They greatly encouraged me to "go for it" on Monday.

I took the trip up on Monday and to my surprise not only was the coupon honored but every item had been reduced to 75% off. Several of my most precious Christmas decorations came from that one year when "it paid to wait". 

I am happy to say today I would not give near the pressure to what I should or shouldn't do. I am in a better place to know the Father wants me to have good things. He is for me and if it is in His plan, they will be there, He will make a way for me to have them. If not, He will send something better. But, even then, in spite of my fretting, I was blessed immeasurably with tangible expressions that help me to celebrate this story as well as the Christmas story each year.

Now, as far as asking questions go, I have embraced the life philosophy  that the worse thing anyone can tell you is "no". So, I ask alot of questions. Friday was payday. I had wanted to stop at this giftshop near work for two weeks but found myself constantly rushing to and from work. On Friday, I made the time to go in for a flag for my yard. A customer at work told me they were all on sale. I found my flag but what really caught my eye were two plaques with distressed painting. I am going to try and put a picture of them on here for you but the caption read on one.."

                                          "  DARING...STARTS FROM WITHIN"

and the other read...

                               "COURAGE....IS THE POWER TO LET GO OF THE FAMILIAR"

Each panel had a price tag out of my spending range but I WANTED THEM. My kids are about to all change rooms when my oldest daughter Lawren leaves for Berlin next month...but that's another story for another post.

I am always looking for ways to inspire my kids even through decor so I thought this would be a hit for my boys room. So, I mentioned my interest to the sales lady. I also asked her to come down to the shop where I work and tell me if they ever went on sale because I would get them. Right then and there she offered them to me for 50% off...said she was trying to move merchandise and was not going to carry their stuff any longer because they charged too much for shipping. I kid you not. All I did was ask.





1 comment:

  1. You are such a wonderful writer. I could just hear your voice telling me this story... I look forward to many more inspiring posts from your sweet heart.

    ReplyDelete