Wednesday 25 August 2010

If you have to work, do something you like.

I love my job. River of life lesson: If you have to work, you need to do something you like.  I believe work is not part of the curse. I believe work is an opportunity to enjoy life in a productive way and operate out of the passions the Father has put into each of us.

I happen to work at a place with fantastic food and great people..both co workers and customers. Occasionally there are catering events to work. I have been afforded the privilege of working in homes with  the most breathtaking views of Huntsville, while serving some of the finest food in the most wonderful homes to gracious people who are just glad to have you there.

Yesterday, I worked a board luncheon at a local bank...eleventh floor boardroom with huge glass windows which overlooked our entire city. Here was the menu: roasted pork tenderloin, croissant  tomato cheddar casserole , lima beans, bread, sweet potato pie, and a salad with fresh blueberries, strawberries, blue cheese crumbles and toasted sugared walnuts with balsamic vinaigrette. Whew, that was a lot to type and eat!

We plated too many plates which to my advantage left food for me as the board members cleared out and moved to another room for their meeting. As I cleaned up I enjoyed the extra and considered  writing about that pork.

On Monday, our entree to go at the shop included this same roasted pork tenderloin. As I saw the meat being sliced, I was able to get a small slither from the end. The taste of that meat literally carried me the rest of the day. It was so scrumptious, I was unwilling to taste anything else until dinner for fear of losing that moment with that piece of pork.

I began thinking about how unhealthy pork is for you and that in the Old Testament it was forbidden to eat. My mind raced forward to the wedding banquet which we, as believers, will get to participate in...Yes, there will be food in heaven. I began feeling quite thankful that we live under the New Testament grace of our Lord and are free to eat whatever meat we desire. Understanding, of course, that many things in moderation can be ok.

I really wasn't planning on writing about my pork story until a sweet  young lady came in the shop last night to buy fried chicken for dinner. As I rang her up, she went on and on about the pork entree she had purchased the night before. That was all it took for me. I gave her my five second version of my experience and how I was considering blogging about my divine moment. Because at that moment of intense pleasure, I absolutely thanked the Father for delicious food.

She said, "You absolutely should write about this!" So here you have it. I pray you are enjoying where you work.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pam!! I miss you and your kids so much. You are a fantastic writer and I can't wait to see what other river of life lessons you post. :) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love ready your post-don't get to talk with you much but at least i can read and keep up with you as Taylor said you are a good writer and can't wait till the next one

    ReplyDelete