Thursday 22 September 2011

The past fifteen hours....

I was drill sergeant mom this morning when I woke the kids fifteen minutes early reminding them I had an appointment on the other side of town at eight am and  we needed to leave early.

I was encourager/reminder mom when the kids piled out of the car at school and I say, "do good on your science test! I love you!"

I was forgetful and figure it out mom when on the way to my counseling appointment Hannah calls. "Exactly where on the parkway are you because we forgot to send a note so I can stay after today for basketball practice."

I was counselee mom as I sit across from my counselor and she shares the hard things with me about life...and the sweetness of the Father...in those hard places.

I was investigative mom as I phone my cousin in Powder Springs, Georgia to inquire about college for Mary. Three of her four children have all finished high school and her husband in athletic director at Shorter College in Rome. I, as a single mom, have no clue as to how to get my daughter recruited....Of course I think she is a phenomenal athlete and every school would be tremendously blessed to have her!

I was a thoughtful mom as at approximately 10 am I text my friend in Birmingham who is on my mind. I tell her I am praying for her and thinking of her.

I was planning mom as I phone my step mom to arrange tutoring time for the afternoon with my niece.

I was working mom as I served the "Farmer's Market Plate" today at Lyn's  for lunch.

I was take care of myself mom as I met my girlfriend for coffee around 2:30 and we spent an hour and half catching up.

I was push over mom as I stop at GAMESTOP against my better judgement and use John's birthday momey to putrchase a new game.

I am figure out the dinner plan mom before any one leaves for youth.

This only brings me to twelve hours of today and I am tired of remembering all the roles I have as I am most certain you are tired of reading.

As women we have multiple roles every day we find ourselves playing out. Being a mother requires flexibility, intuitiveness, and strength at a minimum. Switching from role to role as our day plays out can often leave us discontent especially if mothering requires us to drop our own agenda to step into the life of one of our children who needs attention, encouragement, direction, or a listening ear.


As a mother of five ranging in age from nine to nineteen many days I find myself switching back and forth between corrective discipline with the younger ones to late night counseling sessions with the older.

 Needless to say, the role swapping can be wearysome. Often we as moms also can't wait until one season changes thinking that as soon as "we arrive" at another time we will find contentment such as waiting for a child to finish potty training or surviving the rough arena of middle school.

In chapter four of Calm my Anxious Heart, the author states, "We grow up when we see life and our role from God's perspective: when we thank God for the role He has assigned us and begin to see our cup as a gift instead of a cross; when each morning we ask, 'God, how can I glorify You today in my given role?'"

Thankfully, the author shares God's requirement for us as believers in our many roles assigned by Him, the blessed controller: the requirement is faithfulness.NOT perfection or success. i Corinthians 4:2 says, "Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful."

Will you trust Him that what roles you are walking in today are from Him, orchestrated by  Him for His glory. How is your present situation conforming you to the image of Christ or causing you to be more dependent on HIm for your every need.

No comments:

Post a Comment