Tuesday 23 November 2010

The Power of Dreaming

For as long as I can remember my Granddaddy had free fish fries at his home on the Tennessee River. Every Saturday before Labor Day he served catfish, french fries, homemade hushpuppies, and slaw for the community. We started feeding at noon and served as long as anyone came. Some years we fed over 500 people. The women brought drink and desserts. We also cooked hamburgers and hotdogs for those who did not like fish. Granddad always said this was his gift back to the community. There were items I struggled with...like why did the potatoes have to be washed, peeled, sliced and then fried? Why couldn't we just buy frozen french fries.  Why did the women have to start before dawn making meal for homemade hushpuppies?

During the winter we cooked chili..southwestern style with whole kernel corn. We would load everything up and drive up to gasoline alley. We set up shop in the back of the Exxon building. Granddaddy would start one of his burners up and cook that chili all day. People would come in all day to eat and fellowship....just for the fun of it.  Somebody always had something to say to the "Preacher".

I must have been inspired by Granddaddy because I have been dreaming up big ideas ever since. For years I hosted a creative arts day camp in my Grandfather's homestead here on the river. Since then we have moved to the local YMCA and ministered to kids in their summer program as well as their after school program.

Most recently I am privileged to direct a seven week outreach with the local YMCA to kick off the season of Advent, the coming of Christ. Our time together includes storytelling, music, dance, and games each week as we celebrate the real reason for that first Christmas.  On December 2nd, the kids will participate in One Wintry Night: A Christmas Story at a nearby church as we celebrate the results of "dreaming big". As I plan for the night's event I am thinking now about decorations for the food tables. We will feed the kids and their families a snack supper before the program. I want my grandmother's quilts on the table covered by plastic to protect them. I want large vases with burning bush and rosemary. At the bottom of the vases I want large magnolia branches maybe with some holly woven throughout. As I consider the detail of creating a particular scene and inviting all the senses of our guests, I better understand the extra mile Granddaddy went with the fried potatoes and the hushpuppies. When you are sharing Christ be it through a fish fry or Christmas program, nothing but the very best will do.

This past weekend I worked the 25th Annual BMW Brunch. It is an annual fundraiser for the Huntsville Hospital Foundation. As one of the speakers shared, I eagerly listened to her support of her own mother's dream some 25 years ago. The mom called to say, "I have this great idea. I want to serve a meal out of the mechanic's shop. The tables will be set up in the car showroom. People will buy tickets and the proceeds will go to the Foundation." Although it took a bit more to convince the daughter to come on board with the mom's vision, she soon saw the potential of the dream. Some twenty five years later, over 200 people each year buy the tickets and attend to help support a greater cause that serves those less fortunate than themselves.

Recently I became reacquainted, actually through this blog, with a childhood friend who is inspired to do ministry for women in the community where we both live. Her young adult daughter supports her dream. Interestingly enough, across the ocean in Berlin, where my oldest daughter Lawren attends a discipleship training school, God laid a similar vision on her heart. Lawren's vision included working with single mom's in the community where we live.  The desires that the Lord has placed on Lawren's heart dovetail with my existing MomHeart ministry. The paths the Father is crossing is nothing short of a miracle. It is with anticipation that we look forward to all He has in store for us as we press in together to what He is welling up within us for His glory.

One of Lawren's most recent comments included, "Mom, you told me if I wanted to do something, so long as it was honorable, then we would take it before the Lord and trust. I have been able to do amazing things because you believed God wanted those things for me. I want those girls to know they too do not have to be limited by their circumstances. " I cannot state how humbling it is that my daughter not only would want to spend time with me in ministry but also embrace the same vision I have for mothers across the globe.

The importance of dreaming can't be overstated. The word of God says, where there is no vision the people will perish. It makes no difference whether you are raising millions from your event to support a charitable cause or you are speaking life giving words into the heart of a child. When it is done in the power of Christ, lives are changed. What dreams do you have to impact the world for Christ? Who is believing in you and supporting your dreams? How can you get your kids to really think big and outside the typical box of daily activities? Happy dreaming! And please share some of them with me!

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite post so far! "Dream big"was always your motto! We can now deam together with the larger picture of God we continue to have revealed to us. Love and miss yoU!!!

    ReplyDelete